Building Service Engineer
Building services engineers are responsible for ensuring that the electrical, mechanical and telecoms aspects of new buildings perform effectively and efficiently.
+ The job may include tasks such as: designing and
maintaining air conditioning, elevators and other mechanical systems; distributing electricity and water supply; and providing lighting and heating.
+ Building services engineers are responsible, in short, for all the functional characteristics of a building that take it from being an empty shell to a comfortable living space.
+ While health and safety features, such as emergency procedures and security, are of high priority, the environmental sustainability and cost-effectiveness of buildings are increasingly vital considerations in the industry.
Typical Work Activities Include:
- designing the layout of energy distribution, water
pipes and ventilation systems
- assessing whether a site is suitable for
- identifying the materials and equipment to be
used in the various systems
- drawing up plans, writing briefs and reporting on
- carrying out tests on systems and making changes
to plans where necessary
- monitoring the installation of services and
managing their maintenance once the building is
- making sure that all building services meet health
and safety requirements and environmental
- negotiating contracts with clients, particularly in
- liaising with plumbers, electricians, surveyors,
architectural technologists and other construction
- giving presentations and writing reports
- highlighting the practical implications of the
- promoting energy efficiency and other
- managing teams of people
Qualifications and Training Required:
- You will need to do a a degree or HND course in
an area such as building services engineering,
mechanical engineering or electrical engineering.
- A masters (MEng) can help to focus your study on
a particular area like environmental engineering,
allowing you to pursue research that interests you.
- You will need an accredited MEng, combined with
CIBSE membership and followed by a period of
initial professional development (IPD), if you wish
to achieve chartered status.
- Pre-entry experience is not a requirement as
training will be provided on the job. However, if
you are able to find a vacation scheme you will be
in a better position when applying, not least
because of the networking opportunities provided
by the placement.
Skills & Requirements:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- An eye for detail and good design
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent people and time management skills
- The ability to work well both as part of a team
and on your own
- Strong technical drawing skills
- Good IT skills and a familiarity with industry-
specific software and modelling programmes
NOTE: This job is considered only to those who resides in Lagos state.,
NB: jobs that require an up-front payment are scams. Your discretion is advised.